Invited Talks & Conference Presentations (Selected)
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Of Promises and Discontents: Mapping Challenges to Algorithmic Transparency,” 2022 Seminar on Ethics and Law of AI: Information, Healthcare, and Smart City Governance,” Institutum Iurisprudentiae, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (July 26, 2022).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Global Sustainability Governance through Orchestration,” The Japan Chapter of the Asian Society of International Law, The 13th Annual Conference on “Exploring Various Legal Methods for Sustainable Development: Theoretical and Practical Contributions from Asia,” Tokyo, Japan (July 9, 2022).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Blockchainizing Global Food Governance? Opportunities and Challenges for Food Safety, Traceability, and Sustainability,” Global Food Governance Conference, Food Governance Node at the Charles Perkins Centre (University of Sydney), George Institute for Global Health, O’Neill Institute for National & Global Health, and Global Center for Legal Innovation on Food Environments (Georgetown University Law Center) (December 13-15, 2021).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Sorting People Out: Automated Scoring, the Rule of Law, and the Future of the Profession,” Money, Power and AI: From Automated Banks to Automated States, Centre for Law, Markets and Regulation, Australian Institute of Human Rights, ARC Centre of Excellence for Automated Decision-Making and Society, Allens Hub for Technology, Law and Innovation, University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia (November 29-30, 2021).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Blockchainizing Global Governance? Supply Chain, Private Ordering, and the Promises and Limits of RegTech,” Nordic-Asian Forum for International Economic Law: EU and Asia in the Digitalized World, Study Hub for International Economic Law and Development (SHIELD) & iCourts, Faculty of Law, University of Copenhagen (November 11-12, 2021).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Breaking State-Centric Shackles in the WHO: Taiwan as a Catalyst for a New Global Health Order,” COVID-19 and the WHO: China’s and Taiwan’s Role in International Organisations and the Multilateral Order, University of Zurich (May 29, 2021).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Shedding New Light on Transnational Corporations and Human Rights? Promises and Limits of Leveraging Blockchain in the Global Supply Chain,” Symposium on Ethical Leadership and Legal Strategies for Post-2020 Organizations, Tobias Leadership Center at Indiana University, Center for Legal Studies & Business Ethics at Spears School of Business at Oklahoma State University, and American Business Law Journal (March 26-27, 2021) [with Robert Chang-hsien Tsai].
- Ching-Fu Lin, “The Roadmap to the ASEAN-EU FTA: Reimagining SPS Cooperation in the Region-To-Region Context,” The ASEAN Law Conference on the Roadmap to the ASEAN-EU FTA in the Post-Pandemic Era, Singapore (Dec. 3-4, 2020).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Artificial Intelligence and Global Economic Governance: A Research Agenda,” Sydney Law School, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia (October 9, 2020) [with Han-Wei Liu].
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Contextualizing Taiwan’s Experience in Coping the Global COVID-19 Pandemic,” Global Public-Private Law Approaches to COVID-19——Trade and Health Regulations, Singapore Management University School of Law (August 7, 2020).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Taiwan’s Regulatory Responses to COVID-19: A Contextual Analysis,” Responses to COVID-19 in South Korea, Taiwan, and the US, Stanford Program in Law and Society, Stanford Law School (May 26, 2020).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Public Morals, Trade Secrets, and the Dilemma of Regulating Automated Driving Systems,” Asian International Economic Law Network (AIELN) 6th Biennial Conference International Trade Regime for the Data-Driven Economy: How Will Artificial Intelligence Transform International Economic Law?, Taipei, Taiwan (October 26-27, 2019).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Artificial Intelligence and Global Economic Governance: A Research Agenda,” Digital Citizens Conference on New Technologies: Rights, Responsibilities and Regulation, Melbourne, Australia (July 24-26, 2019) [with Han-Wei Liu].
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Artificial Intelligence and International Human Rights Law: Fostering a Mutually Reinforcing Relationship,” The Japan Chapter of the Asian Society of International Law (the 10th Anniversary Annual Conference): Global Governance at a Critical Moment: Insights from Asia (July 14, 2019), Tokyo, Japan [with Yi-Li Lee].
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Economic Cooperation in Troubled Relationships,” 2019 ILA-ASIL Asia-Pacific Research Forum, International Law and Emerging Powers: New Policy Challenges in the Asia-Pacific, Taipei, Taiwan (May 17-18, 2019) [with Chien-Huei Wu & Han-Wei Liu].
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Blockchainizing Food Law: Implications for Food Safety, Traceability, and Sustainability,” Conference on Food Law and Policy: Food Safety and Technology Governance (May 10-11, 2019), Taipei, Taiwan.
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Data-Driven Authoritarianism? Unpacking China’s Social Credit Megaproject,” Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University (Nov. 19, 2018), Cambridge, United States [based on a joint research project with Yu-Jie Chen & Han-Wei Liu].
- Ching-Fu Lin, Automated Vehicle, Standard Setting, and Global Value Chain: Crisscross Interactions among the United States, the European Union, and China, Multilateralism at Peril: The Uneasy Triangle of EU, US and China, Academia Sinica and University of Groningen, Taipei, Taiwan (November 5-6, 2018).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “State v. Loomis: Promises and Limits of Algorithmic Transparency and Accountability,” Institutum Iurisprudentiae, Academia Sinica (Aug. 27, 2018), Taipei, Taiwan.
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Artificial Intelligence in the Court: Black Box, Due Process, and the Need for Greater Algorithmic Accountability,” 6th Annual Conference on Governance of Emerging Technologies and Science: Law, Policy, and Ethics, Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law (May 16-18, 2018), United States.
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Artificial Intelligence and Social Control in China: Powers and Perils,” 16th Information Ethics Roundtable (May 17-18, 2018), Copenhagen (with Yu-Jie Chen & Han-Wei Liu).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Artificial Intelligence Law and Policy: Identifying Key Issues in Taiwan and Beyond,” National Taiwan University of Science and Technology (Apr. 19, 2018), Taipei, Taiwan.
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Strengthening the Accountability of Global Tobacco Control: A Preliminary Analysis of the FCTC,” The 2017 International Conference of Tobacco Control, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan (Oct., 2017).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “The Rise of Global Regulatory Coherence and Its Contour in the Century of Mega-regionalism,” The Workshop on The New Plurilateralism: The Emberging Standard for Global Economic Governance?, University of Warwick, United Kingdom (Sep., 2017) (with& Han-Wei Liu).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “China and Regulatory Coherence: An Uneasy Relationship?,” The 6th Biennial Conference of the Asian Society of International Law: Asia and International Law in Times of Uncertainty, Seoul, Korea (Aug., 2017) (with& Han-Wei Liu).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Implications of the Trans-Pacific Partnership for Global Food Safety Governance,” Governing Science and Technology in the Era of Mega-RTAs: Regulatory Convergence and Divergence, National Tsing Hua University, (Nov 17-18, 2016), Taiwan.
- Sam Halabi & Ching-Fu Lin, “Assessing the Relative Influence and Efficacy of Public and Private Food Safety Regulation Regimes: Comparing Codex and Global GAP Standards,” Food and Drug Law Journal Symposium – Law and Food Systems: Institutional Pathways toward a New Paradigm?, Georgetown University Law Center (Nov 4, 2016), United States.
- Ching-Fu Lin, “The Blame-Avoidance Dimension of Institutional Design in EU Risk Regulation: GMO Cultivation Opt-out and Its Implications,” The 5th ECPR Standing Group on Regulatory Governance Conference. Tilburg University, the Netherlands (July 6-8, 2016).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “From Kung Fu Panda to Kung Fu Koala? Culture-Oriented Mode 4 under ChAFTA,” Chinese-Australian Economic Law Relations in the Post-ChAFTA World, University of New South Wales School of Law (Sydney, Australia, June 17-18, 2016) (with Shin-yi Peng and Han-Wei Liu).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “The Panda in the Room: Assessing China’s Participation in Global Health Governance,” Workshop on Rethinking Stakeholder Participation in Global Governance, The Graduate Institute, Geneva, Switzerland (March 10-11, 2016).
- Ching-Fu Lin (with Sam Halabi), “Assessing the Relative Influence and Efficacy of Codex and GlobalGAP: A Historical Perspective,” 2015 Global Health Law Workshop, Institutum Iurisprudentiae, Academia Sinica, Taiwan (November 16, 2015).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Curbing Tobacco Industry Interference in the Implementation of the FCTC Protocol to Eliminate Illicit Trade in Tobacco Products,” 2015 International Conference on Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, National Taiwan University College of Law, Taipei, Taiwan (October 20, 2015).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Key Dimensions of Interactive Governance: Public-Private Regulation in Global Food Safety,” New Directions in EU and Global Risk Regulation (10th International Workshop for Young Scholars, WISH), HEC Paris, France (June 19-20, 2015).
- “Global Food Safety Governance: International and European Actors,” Brescia University School of Law, Brescia, Italy (May 20, 2015).
- “Food Safety and Quality Standards: A Transnational Perspective,” Brescia University School of Law, Brescia, Italy (May 21, 2015).
- “Private Standards and the WTO,” at Food Standards: Current Global Food Supply Chain and Market Access Issues (World Food Law Round Table), World Food Law Program and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (June 2, 2014).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Public-Private Food Safety Regulatory Cooperation,” SPLS Inaugural Conference for Junior Researchers on Law and (In)formality, Stanford Law School, United States (May 16-17, 2014).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Towards a Rule-based Framework for Public-Private Regulatory Cooperation: The Case of Food Safety,” at the 8th International Graduate Legal Research Conference (IGLRC), Dickson Poon School of Law, King’s College London, United Kingdom (Apr 14-15, 2014).
- “China’s Food Safety Law in Comparative Perspective,” at HLS Comparative Law: Why Law? Lessons from China (April 10, 2015 & April 3, 2014).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “The Role of Private Ordering in the FSMA,” at New Directions for Food Safety: The Food Safety Modernization Act and Beyond (Petrie-Flom Center for Health Law Policy, Biotechnology, and Bioethics Annual Conference), Harvard Law School, United States (Feb 21, 2014).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “When Divergence Converges? Implications of the Transatlantic Food Safety Regulatory Interactions,” (Skype in) at the ACWH Conference on Public Health and International Trade, National Taiwan University, Taiwan (Oct 1-2, 2013).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Public-Private Institutional Interactions in Global Food Safety Governance,” at the 9th Global Administrative Law Seminar (co-held by NYU Law School and Viterbo University), Italy (Jun 13-14, 2013).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Reassessing the Codex Alimentarius Commission: An Analysis of the Ractopamine Dispute,” at the 9th International Workshop for Young Scholars: The Future of Transnational Law, Peking University School of Transnational Law, China (Nov 29-Dec 1, 2012).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “The European Food Safety Authority in Global Food Safety Governance: A Participant, a Benchmark, and a Model,” at the ACWH Conference on Public Health and International Trade, National Taiwan University, Taiwan (Oct 22, 2012).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Bilateral Food Safety Cooperation in the WTO,” at the 19th NATSA Annual Conference, Indiana University-Bloomington Maurer School of Law, United States (Jun 8-9, 2012).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “SPS-Plus and Bilateral Treaty Network: A “Global” Solution to the Global Food Safety Problem?” at the 2011 ACWH Conference on International Health and Trade: Globalization and Related Health Issues, National Taiwan University, Taiwan (Aug 5-6, 2011).
- Ching-Fu Lin, “Global Food Safety: Exploring Key Elements for an International Regulatory Strategy,” at the 2010 Conference on International Health and Trade, Asian Center for WTO & International Health Law and Policy, National Taiwan University, Taiwan (Jul 22, 2010).